The successful partnership of Mack, Williams and Gibton was formed in around 1812 and flourished under this name until the death of John Mack in 1829. The firm is recognized for the superb timbers employed and their high quality of workmanship which is often compared to Gillows of Lancaster and London. The original partners John Mack and Robert Gibton are listed in the Dublin directories individually from 1784 and 1790, respectively, and appear to have come into partnership from 1803. They were appointed 'Upholsterers & Cabinet Makers to his Majesty, His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant and His Majesty's Board of Works' in 1806 and the firm retained this Royal Warranty for many years, supplying and restoring furniture for important public buildings in Ireland including the Four Courts, the War office, the Barracks Office, Dublin Castle and the Treasury and Viceregal Lodge.
Mack, Williams and Gibton regularly labelled their furniture, and used a system of a numbers as appear on these benches.