These grand throne armchairs are stylistically related to a group of 17th Century Italian armchairs from the Doge Manin's palace purchased by the 2nd Marquess of Exeter for Burghley House, Lincolnshire, in June 1836 from Town and Emanuel, cabinetmakers and dealers established circa 1830. Gasparoni, a Milanese dealer, bought the contents of the Doge's palace in about 1834 and sold it in London to Town and Emanuel, a firm which not only produced its own revivalist furniture but which also sold antiquarian pieces as well.(See F. Collard "Town & Emanuel", Furniture History, Vol. XXXII, 1996, pp. 81-83).