These torchères are conceived as antique candelabra in the Renaissance manner with vine-wreathed Solomonic shafts with composite capitals supported on altar-pedestals with sphynx-monopodiae. The design is influenced by such Huguenot craftsmen as Daniel Marot, who published prints of their designs, thus spreading the taste of the court of Louis XIV. They compare closely to a torchère in the Palazzo Altieri, Rome, which is illustrated in A. Gonzàlez-Palacios, Fasto Romano, Exhibition, Rome 15 May-30 June 1991, Verona, 1991, p. 157, cat. 84, and a further candlestand from Ham House, Surrey, dated to circa 1638 (illustrated in C. Gilbert ed., Furniture History Society Journal, Leeds, 1980, vol. XVI, fig. 22).