Julius Wernher's fortune was built in the diamond mines of South Africa, initially in the employment of Paris-based dealer Jules Porgès, but the mid-1880's saw the merger of the Compagnie Française des Diamants du Cap de Bonne Espérance and De Beers. At this time Wernher was widely regarded as one of the richest men in the world.
In 1895 Wernher and his wife Alice Mankiewicz purchased Bath House, on the corner of Piccadilly and Bolton Street. It was amid these opulent interiors, with plaster and woodwork probably executed by Maison Leys of Paris, where most of Julius' collection, including Italian Renaissance bronzes and paintings by Titian and Watteau, was to be housed until it's sale in 1948.
One of these chairs is visible, in part, at the edge of a photograph of the Red Room, Bath House.