The distinctive delicate carving of palm fronds of the supports of these consoles relates to a pair of consoles supplied to the Villa Litta Modignani near Milan, now in the Museo de Arti Applicate, Milan (illustrated in E. Colle, Museo de Arte Applicate, Mobili e Intagli Lignei, Milan, 1996, p. 381, cat. 673). The same motif of palm fronds also appears on a set of side chairs and stools originally supplied to the Galleria degli Specchi in the Palazzo Durazzo in Genoa, now in the Palazzo Reale, Turin, illustrated in A. Gonzalez-Palacios, Il Mobile in Liguria, Genoa, 1996, figs. 266-7. Their free flowing form also recalls a pair of consoles attributed to the Parisian menuisier Marc Vibert in the Pinacoteca Nazionale, Parma (illustrated in A. Gonzlez-Palacios, Il Patrimonio Artistico del Quirinale Gli Arredi Francesi, Milan, 1995, p. 62. fig. 65). Their diminutive scale and naturalistic form in combination with verde antico marble tops also relate to a pair of corner consoles supplied to the Villa Chigi near Rome circa 1765-9 by the intagliatore Nicola Carletti, sold in these Rooms, 26 October 1994, lot 110.
An identical pair of corner consoles, although with different tops, was acquired by James Deering circa 1916 for his Italianate villa, Vizcaya, Miami, where they remain in the Principal Saloon.