This fine pair of candelabra is conceived in the French 'antique' manner popular in Britain during the opening years of the 19th century, their superb quality would suggest their production by one of the leading London 'bronziers' of the day.
Related caryatic candelabra attributed to Vulliamy & Son, remain in the collection at Harewood House, dated 1811, their attribution is strong as there are entries in the Lascelles accounts of that same year detailing payments to Vulliamy for the supply of ormolu. This established connection between Vulliamy and Harewood can only serve to strengthen the case. Caryatic candelabra were also supplied by Vulliamy in 1806 to the Prince of Wales for Carlton House (J. Harris et al., Buckingham Palace and its Treasures, New York, 1968, p. 156).
The second candidate for the production of these candelabra is Alexis
Decaix (d.1811) who was also acclaimed as one of Regency London's
leading ormolu manufacturers. Edward Lascelles, 1st Earl of Harewood, when styled 1st Baron of Harewood, (1740-1820) records three sundry payments to Decaix between 1801-1804, in his personal accounts. Decaix, who was also patronised by the Prince of Wales, is known to
have supplied related caryatic candelabras elsewhere and is known to
have regularly employed the flambeau motif on which the present
examples are centred (see Christie's London, 6 July 1995, lot 9). His
oeuvre was much closer in proximity to that of his Parisian
counterparts than was generally found in London and he often produced
work in the 'antique' manner to the designs of Thomas Hope.