These chairs reflect the old English style introduced around 1800 by the Wyatt architectural dynasty at George IV's Carlton House palace. They relate to a design for a chair, dated 1801, by Gillows of London and Lancaster who worked closely with the Wyatt family. The design was executed for the Shire Hall at Lancaster Gate (S. Stuart, 'Three Generations of Gothic Chairs by Gillows', Furniture History, 1996, figs. 6 and 11).
A pair of Gillows chairs closely following the 1801 design and with cluster-column legs like the present lot, was sold anonymously, in these Rooms, 14 September 2000, lot 197. A set of twelve related gothic giltwood chairs bearing a Windsor Castle inventory brand, was sold from the Roger Collection, Sotheby's London, 28 January 1998, lot 134.