The Sèvres factory produced vases à monter, or vases intended to be fitted with ormolu mounts, from circa 1764. The main three forms of such vases assembled into garnitures were tapering cylindrical (of two differing dimensions), such as the present pair, and egg-shaped. These finished glazed vases were sold largely to marchand-merciers who then embellished them with mounts. The earlier vases were glazed in solid ground colours, particularly blue and green, however invoices exist for pieces decorated with green and blue grounds scattered with foliate wreaths centered by roses by 1770.
The vases or goblets cloches are adorned with mounts of one of five basic styles. This indicates in all likelihood that the marchand-merciers who purchased the vases à monter produced their own signature mounts. A complete garniture incorporating a pair of egg-form vases, a pair of small cylindrical and one large cylindrical vase is in the Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford (see Linda H. Roth and Clare Le Corbeiller, French Eighteenth Century Porcelain at the Wadsworth Atheneum: The J. Pierpont Morgan Collection, Harford, 2000, p. 156, fig. 74.).
Designed in the style goût grec, these vases, with their bacchic lion-mask Grecian-fretted mounts, are closely related to the central vase of the garniture formerly in the collection of Mme. Jules Fribourg (S. Eriksen, Early Neo-Classicism in France, London, 1974, p. 363, pl. 242). Eriksen draws attention to another set of vases sold from the collection of Erich von Goldschmidt- Rothschild (Ball und Graupe, Berlin, 23 March 1931, lot 206) which bore the date letter for 1769. A very closely related green-ground garniture, with a single vase of this model and size, was in the collection of the Earls of Sefton, Croxteth Hall, sold Christie's house sale, 17-20 September 1973, lot 908. Very closely related pairs with minor variations in the mounts were in the Keck Collection, La Lanterne, Bel Air, California, sold Sotheby's New York, 4 December 1991, lot 225; at Christie's London, 17 June 1987, lot 32; and in the collection of the Marquesses of Cholmondeley, Houghton, Norfolk, sold Christie's London, 8 December 1994, lot 38.