Possibly those recorded in the Great Room at Kenwood in an inventory carried out by C.B.King on 19th February 1910, Vol 1. p.30, item 260 as 'A Pair of Empire Candelabra 2 Bronze Figures of Women supporting a 3 light ormolu fire gilt branch... upon a chased ormolu and marble base - size 3ft. 1.'. The measurement recorded in 1910 is 5 inches shorter than the overall height. It is possible that the measurement taken at the time was for the height of the outside branches rather than the full height including the central finial.
The candles' vine-festooned branches are held aloft by festive nymphs celebrating the Autumnal harvest festival of Bacchus. One vine-wreathed nymph steps over an overturned wine-krater vase, while her companion, sporting a bacchic lion-pelt, may have originally held a bacchic thyrsus wand rather than a tazza. One of the nymphs on the other candelabrum wears a bacchic ram-pelt. They relate to figures modelled in the 1760s antique manner by the sculptor Etienne-Maurice Falconet (d.1791). One pair of this pattern was sold Christie's London, 11 December 2003, lot 74; another was in the collection of Charles de Beistegui, Chateau de Groussay (sold Sotheby's Poulain Le Fur, 2 June 1999, lot 384).
This model may well have been the result of a collaboration between several bronziers under the orders of the marchand-mercier Dominique Daguerre. Daguerre is known to have supplied candelabra of similar conceipt with bronze putti after Falconet, mounted on similar bow-fronted plinths, both to George, Prince of Wales, later King George IV for Carlton House (illustrated in situ in the White Drawing Room in J. Harris et al., Buckingham Palace and its Treasures, New York, 1968, p. 59) and his circle - including the Earl of Harewood and the the Earl of Bradford. He also sold a pair in his sale at Christie's London, 25 March 1791, lot 53 (P. Hughes, The Wallace Collection, Catalogue of Furniture, London, 1996, Vol. III, no.251, F140-141).
The heir to Simon-Philippe Poirier's atelier, Dominique Daguerre specialised in supplying objets de luxe to the French Court and, following the Revolution, particularly the English nobility. Based in the rue St. Honoré, as his trade label reveals he Tient Magafin de Porcelaines, Bronzes, Ebénisterie, Glaces, Curiosités, & autres Marchandifes. In 1786, Daguerre signed an agreement with Josiah Wedgwood for the exclusive rights to sell Wedgwood's Jasperware in Paris, and in the 1780's he opened a shop in Piccadilly, London to supply George, Prince of Wales and his circle, including the Duke of Bedford and Earl Spencer. These candelabra may well have been acquired for Kenwood by David Murray, 2nd Earl Mansfield and 7th Viscount Stormont (d. 1796) - and it would seem highly probable that he would have turned to Daguerre.