Longton Hall and West Pans were the result of the ambitious William Littler. Entering into partnership with his brother-in-law in 1745 making salt-glazed stoneware, five years later Littler was engaged as manager of the new and only porcelain factory in Staffordshire at Longton Hall. Lasting only ten years and blighted by technical and financial problems, it still managed to create fine, elegant porcelain. Its demise was likely due to competition, mostly from Worcester and Derby; the remaining stock being sold by auction in 1760. Four years later he established the factory in West Pans, near Musselburgh in East Lothian. Using the same shapes and patterns as at Longton he continued on a smaller scale for another thirteen years until the money ran out in 1777 and he returned to Staffordshire.