The sale catalogue of 1966 stated that these cabinets had previously been in the collection of Henry Thomas Hope.
When Thomas Hope died in 1831, he left his two houses (Duchess Street in London and Deepdene, near Dorking, Surrey) and his entire collection (see also lot 537 in this sale) to his son Henry Thomas Hope (1808 - 1862). Henry had embarked on a politcal career that included the magistrate of Surrey and Gloucestershire, Tory M.P. for East Looe in 1830 and M.P. in the House of Commons from 1833 - 1841 and 1847 - 1852.
Thomas Hope had William Atkinson remodel Deepdene in 1818 and added a wing in 1823. Henry Thomas Hope then enlarged the house, with the help of the Dutch architect A. Roos, in the Italianate style in circa 1836 to 1841, when this pair of side cabinets could have been purchased. The house remained in the family but his grandson Lord Francis Hope-Pelham-Clinton had to declare bankruptcy in 1894 and lease the house. The majority of the Deepdene collection was subsequently sold in 1917. It is also possible that these cabinets were made for his London house that he built at 116 Piccadilly with the help of P.C. Dusillon, to replace his father's Duchess Street Mansion that was sold for demolition in 1851.