Built for Catherine de Medici by Philippe Delorme between 1564 and 1580, the Tuileries palace was abandoned under Louis XIV and throughout the 18th century for Versailles and other favored royal residences. It was briefly again put to use when on the onset of the French Revolution in 1789, Louis XVI and the royal family were assigned by the revolutionary government to reside there, before becoming the seat of the National Covention in 1792. It is possible that these plinths were supplied at this time.
The Tuileries was the seat of the Government again under the Empire and the Restauration and throughout the Second Empire, until it was destroyed by fire during the Commune of Paris in 1871. The Tuileries' splendid gardens laid la franaise by Le Ntre remain and are connected to the Louvre museum.