These superb vases relate to the oeuvre of the fondeur-ciseleur Antoine-Philippe Pajot (c. 1730-1781), who produced furniture mounts (supplied notably to Adrien Delorme, Antoine Gosselin, Jean-François Leleu, Pierre Macret and Pierre Pioniez), bronzes d'ameublement, and mounted porcelain, glass, rock crystal and hardstones.
He seems to have specialised in glass and rock crystal as the 1777 inventory compiled of the contents of his workshop lists 'dix sept pièces en cristal de roches destinés a former trois vases', for the marchand-mercier Antoine Magnien, as well as considerable work mounting porcelain, such as the three blue glass vases sent by the marchand-mercier Jean-Bertin Tesnier, to be mounted.
A pair of related vases with faceted cut-glass bodies stamped by Pajot were sold from the Elizabeth Firestone collection, Christie's New York, 22-23 May 1991, lot 868. The current model, with precious rock crystal bodies and swan handles, was particularly fashionable in Russia in the early 19th Century, and the model was copied by the Imperial Glass Factories, where, between 1819 and 1848, Ivan Ivanov was active as principal designer (N. Thon, 'St. Petersburg um 1800', Recklinghausen, 1990, pp. 395 and 398, no. 344).