This well-known model is first recorded in an anonymous drawing of circa 1785, which is now held in the Muse des Arts Dcoratifs, Paris. Almost certainly executed in the rue St. Honor atelier of the marchand-mercier Dominique Daguerre, the highly finished character of this drawing (like those of the Sachsen-Teschen album in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 59.611.8) would seem to suggest that it was perhaps made as 'sales material' for the dealer's clients, rather than as a working design for a bronzier. It is, therefore, pertinent to note that a set of four Louis XVI six-light candelabra of this model was acquired by George, Prince of Wales, later George IV for Carlton House, while pedestals of almost identical design to that which appears in the drawing are almost certainly those referred to by Daguerre in his estimate of circa 1794 (H. Ottomeyer/P. Prschel et al, Vergoldete Bronzen, Munich, 1986, 4.14.4 and 'Carlton House The Past Glories of George IV's Palace', Exhibition Catalogue, 1991, no. 25, pp. 74-5). A further pair of Louis XVI candelabra of this model, but with eight lights each, originally supplied to the Palais des Tuileries, is now in the Louvre (Ottomeyer/Prschel, op.cit., 4.14.5).
This model was widely admired in the 19th century and bronziers such as Beurdeley and Wertheimer are known to have executed candelabra of this form. Indeed, while the former sold a pair at Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 6-9 May 1895, lot 95, the sale of Samuel Wertheimer's collection at Christie's, London included 'The patterns for a pair of large candelabra in the style of Clodion' as lot 13. Further pairs of this model with eleven lights are known, of which two are in the James A. de Rothschild Collection at Waddesdon Manor (G. de Bellaigue, The James A. de Rothschild Collection at Waddesdon Manor Furniture, Clocks and Gilt Bronzes, London, 1974, Vol. I, no.165, pp.688-9) and a further pair was sold from the collection of Samson Wertheimer, Christie's London, 15-18 March 1892, lot 331.