This model relates closely to a set of appliques supplied for Marie-Antoinette's Grand Cabinet, also named the Salon des Jeux de la Reine, at Compiègne. They were made, Circa 1787, under the direction of the sculptor Jean Hauré, from a model by Gilles-François Martin, cast by Forestier (either Etienne-Jean Forestier maître-fondeur-ciseleur or his brother Pierre-Auguste Forestier) and chased by Pierre-Philippe Thomire. Two pairs, until recently at Fontainebleau, have been reinstated in Marie-Antoinette's Salon des Jeux at Compiègne. Meanwhile, another pair is in The James A. de Rothschild Collection at Waddesdon Manor (no. 223, pp. 806-809) and a further two pairs are in the Wallace collection, London (see The Wallace Collection Catalogue of Furniture, 300-F366-9, pp.1426-1430).
A pair of 19th century wall-lights by Henry Dasson and Cie., which may be copies of the Compiègne model (then at Fontainebleau), was auctioned in 1894 (sold Hôtel Drouot, 10-12 December 1894, lot 88).