The celebrated ébéniste and bronzier Henry Dasson (d.1896), had workshops at 106, rue Vieille du Temple. Specialising in the production of ancienne régime style furniture and objects, he made direct copies of Royal furniture, as well as interpretations of the original models. In 1871, Dasson purchased the workshop and stock of Charles-Guillaume Winckelsen, who had earlier established a reputation for producing furniture of the finest quality. He continued with this acclaim and his display at the 1878 Paris Exposition universelle prompted the critic Louis Gonse to comment: "nouveau venu dans la carriére industrielle Henry Dasson s'est rapidement crée par la perfection de ses oeuvres une trés haute situation à laquelle nous applaudissons chaleureusement". The business continued until 1894, when a sale of remaining stock was held.
The inspiration for these vases comes from several 18th century ormolu-mounted candelabra (see note for lot 116). For another pair of 19th century vases of this model, in griotte marble, see H. Ottomeyer, P. Pröschel et al., Vergoldete Bronzen, Munich, 1986, p. 315.