The Berlin service was commissioned by Emperor Frederick II of Prussia for Grand Duke Paul Petrovich, heir to the Russian throne. The exceptional quality of the gift reflected the high expectations placed upon the future ruler of the Russian Empire by the Prussian king. The service features the Imperial double-headed eagle with two coats of arms - one for Imperial Russia and the other for the Duchy of Holstein-Gottorp, Paul's patriarchal arms.
It is not known where the service was kept when it was first presented to the Grand Duke. However, towards the end of the 19th century the majority was kept at Gatchina Palace, his main country residence. According to records from 1884, the service comprised 357 pieces. After 1917, these pieces were housed in the museum established at Gatchina.