The 'gueridon' pedestals for vases or candelabra formed part of an early 18th Century pier set and accompanied a table and mirror. The circular tray-top is enriched with a ribbon-scrolled and acanthus-flowered mosaic compartment in the Louis Quatorze 'Roman' or 'antique' manner popularised by the Oeuvres (1702) of Daniel Marot (d. 1752) 'architect' to William III. Roman acanthus foliage and husks also enrich its octagon tapered and columned pillar and its tripod 'claw'; while Venus-shell badges embellish the central torus bands. Their foliate capitals also feature on the urn-capped Ionic pillars of pedestals or 'torcheres' supplied for Hampton Court Palace by James Moore (d. 1726) (R. Edwards & M. Jourdain, Georgian Cabinet Makers, London, 1955, rev.ed., fig. 30). The general form and decoration of the present columns relate to those of pedestals from the collection of Margaret, Countess of Suffolk and Berkshire, sold in these Rooms, 25 July 1969, lot 127. Similar pillars, including shells, feature on pedestals in the J. Thursby Pelham Collection illustrated P. Macquoid & R. Edwards, The Dictionary of English Furniture, London, 1954, rev. ed., vol. III, p. 148, fig. 9.