The armchairs' Grecian-scrolled frames relate to those of a set of four armchairs designed for Southill, Bedfordshire about 1805 and attributed to Messrs. Marsh and Tatham of Mount Street (P. Macquoid and R. Edwards, The Dictionary of English Furniture, London, rev. ed., 1954, p. 306, fig. 260 and F.J.B Waton, 'The Furniture and Decoration', Southill, A Regency House, London, 1951, fig. 46).
An armchair of this pattern, but with rosette-enriched tablets in the seat-rail, was formerly in the possession of Temple Williams, London (illustrated in F. Collard, Regency Furniture, Woodbridge, 1985, p.45), while another pair was sold anonymously, Sotheby's, New York, 23 September 1989, Lot 160.