This type of Franco-Grecian chair is linked with the architect Henry Holland and the two cabinet-making firms of Morel and Hughes and Marsh and Tatham, all of whom were employed by George, Prince of Wales, at Carlton House and were fashionable among his francophile circle of friends. The chair is of the same basic design as a large suite supplied to the 1st Earl of Harewood, probably for Harewood House, Hanover Square when alterations were carried out in the early 19th Century. The suite was subsequently offered by H.R.H. The Princess Royal and the Earl of Harewood at Christie's London, 28 June 1951, lot 46. Another similar chair of this model was sold anonymously, Christie's New York, 25 January 2000, lot 561.