Amongst the principal proponents of Elegant Parisian Furniture during the late Eighteenth and early Nineteenth centuries was the business established by John McLean around 1770 on Little Newport Street, Leicester Square, moving premises to Upper Marleybone Street in 1790 and thereafter expanding to an additional space at Pancras Street until the ultimate bancruptcy of the company by 1816. The furniture produced by John McLean and Son featured rich timbers, namely rosewood, lavishly accented with metalwork and gilding. The grilled brass mounts and brass-mounted ring turned tapering legs on these games tables are characteristic of McLean's work. (see S.Redburn, John McLean and Son, Furniture History, 1978, pl.32-45). McLean also fashioned furniture with engraved inlaid strips of brass decorated with foliate scrolls and floral sprays in the manner of Boulle (ibid, pl. 34A-34B).