This form was named a 'curricle', after the Roman magistrate or consul's seat, by Thomas Sheraton in his Cabinet Dictionary, London, 1803 and the name was adopted by Gillows of London and Lancaster. Five chairs of this model were supplied by Gillows between 1811 and 1812 to Wilbraham Egerton for Tatton Park, Cheshire, intended for bedrooms or dressing-rooms (N. Goodison and J. Hardy, 'Gillows at Tatton park', Furniture History, 1970, pl. 16A and S. Bourne Gillow Chairs and Fashion, Exhibition Catalogue, Blackburn, 1991, p. 32-33).
A related pair of bergeres was sold anonymously, Christie's London, 17 April 1997, lot 142, and a further example with hipped sabre legs was sold anonymously, Christie's London, 25 February 1993, lot 37. Another pair of rosewood bergeres was sold by William Mazer, Christie's New York, 21 January 1999, lot 550 ($16,100).