John Cary in partnership with his brother William were one of the foremost London map and globe sellers of the late 18th and early 19th Centuries. They built up a thriving and prosperous business, both as instrument makers and map publishers. Their first globes were published in 1791 and they were soon producing globes of four different diameters.
A very similar pair of globes by John and William Cary and with almost identical stands was sold from The Edward James Collection, West Dean Park, Chichester, West Sussex, Christie's house sale, 2, 3 and 6 June 1986, lot 325. A further very similar pair of globes was sold anonymously in these Rooms, 7 July 1994, lot 128 and another pair was sold by Colonel Nicholas Pakenham Mahon, in these Rooms, 14 November 1996, lot 123.