This stylish pair of candelabra with cascading drops relates to the work of John Blades, 'Cut Glass Manufacturer to His Majesty', whose business was established in 1770. A pair of candelabra with similar faceted diamond-cut bases and a drawing by John Blades dated 1828 upon which they are based are both illustrated in M. Mortimer, The English Chandelier, Woodbridge, Suffolk, 2000, pp. 140-141, pl. 84-85. Blades produced an extensive range of candelabra and chandeliers combining finely cut glass drops and classically inspired gilt-bronzes. The extensive size of Blades' business is revealed by a view of his 'upper showroom' designed in 1823 and illustrated in Ackermann's The Repository of Arts in 1809 (reproduced in M. Mortimer, op. cit., end papers).