As the Russian Imperial Factory was in the domain of the Emperor, these vases would have been ordered by the Tsar himself, possibly as a personal or diplomatic gift. It was during his reign that the technique of gilding reached its zenith, as may be seen on the present urns.
It was a custom to depict on Imperial gifts paintings or palaces belonging to the Imperial collections. The present cartouches depict Diane and Junon, copies of the celebrated paintings by Carle Vanloo, Premier peintre du Roi (1705-1765). Painted in 1736, they entered the collection of the Duc de la Rochefoucauld, before being sold and acquired later by the Hermitage Museum. They were transfered to the Pouchkine Museum, Moscow, in 1924.
Alexander Fedorovich Mironov was a Free artist and a master of figure painting. He is mentioned among the best artists of the Imperial Porcelain Factory, which were noted for their professionalism, treatment of details and fine painting. Mironov is mentioned as one of those artists who's development was complete in the late 50s and early 60s, under the influence of the old school and of Lippold, but also influenced by the French artists Bude and Bose.