This pair of mahogany fretwork-carved side chairs form part of a long set that was supplied by the cabinet-maker William Masters of Coventry Street, Piccadilly, to the 2nd Duke of Atholl (d. 1764). The set included at least fifty side chairs, several stools and open armchairs, and was invoiced by Masters in 1756 and 1760 as having 'fret down legs, under rails cut open' (A. Coleridge, op. cit, p. 81). Most of the set survives at Blair Castle and is illustrated in Blair Castle, Guide Book, n.d., p. 20 (The Red Bedroom). Two pairs from the set were sold anonymously, in these Rooms, 6 July 2000, lots 53 (£15,275 inc. premium) and 54 (£16,450 inc. premium).