The Sheldon workshop was established by William Sheldon near Barcheston in Warwickshire about 1561. It was continued under his son Ralph until at least 1611. The workshop originally consisted of two houses, one at Barcheston, later the head-quarters, under the direction of Richard Hyckes, and another at Bordesley under Thomas Chance. Francis Hickes took over the management of the workshop in 1603.
Four sets illustrating the Virtues are known. One comprising three cushions is in the Lady Lever Art Gallery, Port Sunlight, a long cushion formerly with Sir William Burrell, a set of three cushions in the Royal Scottish Museum and this pair.