30 September 1999
A PAIR OF SPANISH WALNUT SIDE CHAIRS
Late 17th Century 18th Century
Each with a shaped arched rectangular back and seat covered in tooled leather with flowers, foliage and figures, on turned baluster legs joined by conforming stretchers and with interlaced front stretcher, on turned feet, one chair with paper label inscribed in ink 'Brought from a Nunnery in Portugal by Mr Tathan of Lowfield (?) & given as a Wedding-Present to Anne... ... on her marriage with... Gibson of...', one back stretcher replaced, the stiles with additional strengthening to the reverse, two feet replaced, the shape of the backs possibly altered (2)
Acquired by Dorothy Tatham circa 1832 while in Oporto, following her marriage to John Proctor, merchant in Oporto.
Mr. Tatham (probably John) of Lowfields, Barbon, Cumbria.
By descent to Anne Gibson, Whelprigg, Barbon, Cumbria.
By descent to the present owner.
Contact Client Service
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Asia +852 2760 1766
The purchaser of these side chairs was told that they had reputedly been taken out of the King's Palace in Lisbon when it was plundered by Don Miguel in 1828.
Daniel Moquay, head of the Klein archives in Paris, discusses the French artist’s spirituality, his relationship with the colour blue — and his love of judo
Letters, postcards and photographs from the personal archives of Einstein’s sister and brother-in-law shed new light on his extraordinary life and complex character