Both of these statues are after Canova's celebrated, and often copied, dancing figures. The original of the figure with her hands on her hips was probably commissioned by Empress Joséphine in 1802, while on a visit to Rome. Destined for her collections at Malmaison, it was brought to Paris in 1812 and exhibited to much acclaim. It is now in the collections of the Hermitage, St. Petersburg (see Antonio Canova, exh. cat., Venice, 1992, pp. 292-293).