The benches were possibly made by Messrs. Holland & Sons. They are similar in weight of design to two pairs of hall benches, stamped by Holland & Sons, sold Christie's, London, 4 July 2002, lots 173 and 174. Holland and Sons were among the most distinguished furniture producers of the Victorian period, starting as Taprell and Holland at the beginning of the 19th century, and becoming Holland and Sons in 1843. They supplied the furniture for many of the London clubs including the Athenaeum, the Reform Club and the Oxford and Cambridge Club. They took over premises in Mount Street in 1851 and their archives dating to 1942, when the firm ceased trading, are preserved in the Victoria and Albert Museum.