Partizans of this type, of which there are a number of variants, are thought to have been carried by members of the French royal Gardes de la Manche, who were part of the 1st Company of the Gardes du Corps du Roi. This and a closely similar one with the same inscription in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York (inv. no. 42.50.11), belong to the most lavishly decorated group of these partizans, and are likely to have been carried by officers. The name on this and the New York partizan has been identified as that of Anton d'Aumont de Rochbaron, duc d' Aumont, Marchal de France, Capitaine des Gardes du Roi (d. 1667), whose mother's surname was de Villequier. It is uncertain whether its presence indicates that the partizans were carried by him personally, or by members of the guard under his command. The 'L's and crowns appear on partizans carried under King Louis XIII (reg. 1610-43) and King Louis XIV (reg. 1643-1715) from his accession until 1667, when he changed it to an 'H' for King Henri III, founder of the Order of the Saint-Esprit (see S.V. Grancsay, Arms and Armor, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1985, p. 329, fig. 98.4).
The damascened decoration on the blade is based on designs in the pattern-books of Jean Brain whose Diverses Pices trs utiles pour les Arquebuziers appeared in Paris in three editions, one undated, the others dated 1659 and 1667.