John Brogden (fl. 1842-1884), came to prominence when he won a prize medal at the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace in 1851. He continued to win prestigious awards and was given a medal at the International Exhibition in Paris in 1855. He was a partner in the firm Watherston and Brogden and only set up on his own in 1864. From this date until 1881 his workshop was located at 16 Henrietta Street, Covent Garden. He subsequently moved to Grand Hotel Buildings and worked there until his death in 1884. He is best known for his neoclassical jewellery that usually incorporated intricate goldwork. He was assisted for many years by Mrs. Philip Newman (1840-1927), who was responsible for drawing many of his designs.