Philip Batenin's private St. Petersburg porcelain factory flourished in the first decades of the 19th century. The factory's products were awarded a large gold medal at the First Industrial Exhibition, held in St. Petersburg in 1929. Batenin porcelain was classical in form and renowed for high quality painting. Items were decorated with flowers, landscapes and views of St. Petersburg and the surrounding areas. Batenin porcelain was also distinguished by its heavy gilding. Howerver the technique used, unfortunately, was not very hard wearing. The factory ceased production in 1938 after it was destroyed in a fire.