The border decoration is extremely similar to that on a magnificent salver with matching ewer engraved with the arms of the de Sousas of Prado surmounted by a Count's coronet. This belonged to Fernando II (b. 1816, King Consort of Portugual, 1837, d. 1885), and is now in the Royal Collection in the Ajuda Palace, Lisbon (L. d'Orey, 'Silverware of Portuguese Kings', in Royal Treasures, Lisbon, 1992, nos. 338-339). In addition a salver on stand from the collection of Fernando II with the arms of de Sousa beneath a Marquis' coronet is in the Ajuda Palace Collection (ibid., no. 334).
The salver on stand in the Ajuda Palace is engraved on the reverse, no. 8, an inventory number used on silver in Fernando II's collection. The present salver is also engraved with an inventory number and, although the numeral has been deliberately erased, it is still at least partly visible, and is probably a 9. However, it should be pointed out that there is another eighteenth-century salver on foot in the Ajuda Palace with the number 9 inventory number (ibid. no. 336).