This model is one of ten built by Bassett-Lowke for the CGT in 1920 and were used in their company offices in Paris, LeHavre, New York, London, and other important offices around the world. The models were done in a fairly simple style but had the Bassett-Lowke quality. This was the last year Bassett-Lowke produced exhibition standard models in their Winteringham location before they formed the Ship Models Company which was created by H.F.R. Franklin.
The S.S. France (1912) was originally laid down as La Picardie and was completed in April of 1912. She was grandly appointed in traditional French and Moorish themes and was a very successful ship. In 1914 she was converted to an auxiliary cruiser, and then a troop transport when she was renamed France IV. In 1916 she served as a hospital ship, and then as a troop transport in 1917. She was returned to the French Line (CGT) in 1918, and in 1919 re-entered trans-Atlantic service re-patriating American troops, in August of 1919 she re-entered passenger service and became known as the 'chateau of the Atlantic'. In 1923 she was converted to oil firing, and in 1932 she was laid up in Le Havre and in April 1935 she sailed from Le Havre to Dunkirk to be broken up.