Between 1667 and 1671, Richard Pigge, coffer-maker to Charles II, supplied a large number of trunks covered with 'russia leather' to various members of the Court, both with and without drawers. A coffer-maker is found mentioned among the officers of the Royal Household until late in the 18th Century and the accounts in the Record Office show that between 1750 and 1760, George II's coffer-maker, Edward Smith, supplied both the king and various members of the Court with a large number of trunks covered with russia leather. Interestingly, a leather-covered trunk bearing the trade label of Edward Smith 'Coffer and plate-case maker to His Majesty and His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales' was sold anonymously in these Rooms, 2 February 1978, lot 107. This had very similar pierced corner mounts to the present lot. Another trunk with an almost identical crowned escutcheon and closely related to ours was sold by David Style, Esq., Wateringbury Place, Maidstone, Kent, Christie's house sale, 1 June 1978, lot 587. The Royal crown and cipher are frequently found on these trunks although it does not necessarily imply Royal ownership. These trunks remained relatively unaltered in form from the reign of Charles II through to the reign of George II. (P. Macquoid and R. Edwards, The Dictionary of English Furniture, London, rev. ed., 1954, vol. II, p. 19, figs. 36-38 and O. Bracket, English Furniture Illustrated, London, rev. ed., 1950, p. 97, pl. LXIX).