The pier glass is conceived in the Louis XIV 'antique' or Roman fashion popularised by engraved ornament patterns issued around 1700 by Daniel Marot (d. 1752), 'architect' to William III. The mirrored frame is embellished in verre églomisé with golden arabesque scrolls entwined with flowers on a red ground. A mirror of this type, although on a green ground, was stolen from the furniture-maker Benjamin Goodison in 1727, and described as: 'A large old fashioned Glass Sconce, in a Glass Frame, with Gold Flowers painted on the Glass Frame, and a Green Ground'. It has been suggested that this 'Sconce' might have been executed by Goodison's former 'Master' James Moore (d. 1726), who in partnership with John Gumley had provided mirrors for the Royal residences from 1707 (The Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1660-1840, Leeds, 1986, pp. 351 and 618).
A very similar mirror was sold at Christie's New York, from the Estate of Mary, Viscountess Rothermere, 16 April 1994, lot 167. The figures in the middle of the side panels were unusual for being Turkish. It had previously been in the collection of H.H. Mulliner and is illustrated in his Decorative Arts in England, 1923, fig. 170. Another from the Estate of Wendell Cherry was sold Sotheby's New York, 20 May 1994, lot 75. Several others exist such as one acquired from Halnaby Park and now in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London (illustrated in G. Wills, English Looking Glasses, 1965, fig. 11).
Probably the most elaborate members of the group are those from Kedelston that are now in the Gerstenfeld Collection (E. Lennox-Boyd, ed., Masterpieces of English Furniture, The Gerstenfeld Collection, London, 1998, p. 227, no. 69).