Tompion, Thomas (1639-1713). Born in Ickfield Green, Bedfordshire Tompion was presumably brought up as a blacksmith like his father and grandfather. It is not known to whom he was apprenticed but by September 1671 he was in London and in 1674 he was made Free of the Clockmakers' Company by Redemption and set up premises at the Sign of the Dial and Three Crowns in Water Lane. Following its foundation in 1675 Tompion was commissioned to make two clocks for the Greenwich Observatory. Subsequently his business grew apace and by 1685 his household numbered 19 and he would have employed a number of non-resident journeymen also. In 1691 Tompion was elected Assistant to the Clockmakers' Company and subsequently he became Warden in 1700 and Master in 1703. His partnership with Edward Banger (apprenticed 1687, Free of the Clockmakers' Company 1695-1713) is thought to have started circa and ended abruptly circa 1708. The two are presumed to have fallen out and Banger disappeared into obscurity. By 1710 Tompion had taken another partner, his nephew by marriage and former apprentice, George Graham (1673-1751), who took over the business upon Tompion's death in 1713.