Without any doubt this cup and cover is the one mentioned in 1872 in Geschiedenis van de Orde van Vrijmetselaren in Nederland, onderhoorige Koloniën en Landen. It was presented in 1859 to David Maarschalk (1829-1886) by the masonic lodge called 'De Ster in het Oosten' (The Star in the East). He held the rank of 'bouwmeester' in its committee for an unknown period of time. This lodge had arised from a junction of two Batavian lodges in 1837 and was at that time the largest of the East-Indies.
After a renovation of the lodge's housing had been called off, the committee decided in 1856 to build a new accommodation. Being an experienced engineer, David Maarschalk was asked to lead the construction. After the building of the new housing was completed successfully, the members of the lodge presented this cup and cover to David Maarschalk and made him a honoury member.
Trained at the Royal Military Academy in Breda, David Maarschalk had left for Borneo in 1847 as second lieutenant in the corps in 1868. Maarschalk then started a second career in railwayconstructions with great success. First he was chairman of the Dutch-Indian Railway Company and later engineer-in-chief of the Indian Railways. In the 1870s he assisted in technical matters in building a large seaport near Batavia. He is reckoned among the most important people in the Dutch East Indies in the 19th Century.
H. Maarschalk, Geschiedenis van de Orde der Vrijmetselaren in Nederland, onderhoorige Koloniën en Landen, Breda, 1872
D.G. Stibbe (red)/E.M. Uhlenbeck, Encyclopaedie van de Nederlands-Indië, Part IV, The Hague/Leiden, 1921