A rare, George III multi-compartment box,
of rounded oblong form, with a vinaigrette compartment at one end; a patch/tablet compartment at the other end; a toothpick compartment along each side; and a central snuff compartment with a further hinged compartment within its cover, (totalling six compartments in all), decorated on the sides and cover with flowering foliage on a pricked wavy ground, the base engraved with a chequerwork panel bordered by stiff foliage, resting on four small stud feet, with a small presentation inscription on one end *, maker's mark J.H. (script), Dublin 1812, (gilt interiors) - 7.5cm long x 4.75cm wide x 2cm high, contained in a fitted Morocco travelling case, 4.5oz.
* "From Sir Wm. Stamer Bart. to Captain Patrick Patrickson 4th Dragoons or Queen's Own". Captain Hugh Patrickson was appointed paymaster to the 4th Dragoons in October 1806 and by 1820 was on half pay.