The coat-of-arms is that of Nikolaus Hupper, from a Lübeck family. He is recorded as being a patron of the St. Jacobi Church in Lübeck in the late 17th century.
A similar alms container (Klingelbeutel) also made in Lübeck, maker's mark EAM, 1698, is part of the Lübeck Museum collection and is illustrated in M. Rosenberg, Der Goldschmiede Merkzeichen, Frankfurt, 1923 vol. II, pl. 62.