One of the most important names in English globe manufacturing, the Newton family business was established by John Newton (1759-1844) in 1783. At the age of 15, John Newton was apprenticed to Thomas Bateman and published the family's first globe in partnership with map engraver William Palmer. This was the pocket globe of 2¾in. diameter, of which an example is here offered, reissued and updated from Nathaniel Hill's copper plates of 1754. The firm operated originally from the "Globe & Sun", 128 Chancery Lane (Hill's old address), moving to 97 Chancery Lane in 1803, before settling at 66 Chancery Lane in 1817.
Subsequently, Newton went into partnership with various members of the family; the firm was known as Newton & Son after 1818, and variously J. & W. Newton or, during the 1830's, Newton, Son & Berry. The instrument firm of Newton & Co., operating from 1851 onwards from 3 Fleet Street, was the business of William Edward (John's grandson) and Frederick (grandson of John's younger brother Daniel). The Newtons, and their rival firm the Cary brothers, were pre-eminent makers of globes in late Georgian England; perhaps their greatest triumph was the Great Exhibition of 1851, where aside from the globes they exhibited from 1 to 25in. diameter, they were awarded a prize medal for a manuscript terrestrial globe of six feet diameter.