Two similar bottles in The British Museum are illustrated by J. Harrison-Hall, Ming Ceramics, London, 2001, pp. 347-8, nos. 11:188 and 11:189, where the author notes that this combination of toffee-brown ground with contrasting white decoration was first introduced in the Wanli period. She goes on to note that shards of brown-glazed vessels with white decoration dating to the late Ming era have been excavated at Zhushan in Jingdezhen. A bottle of this type was among Queen Mary II of England's porcelain collection and is documented in an inventory of 1696-7.