The present armoire, with its figural gilt-bronze mounts emblematic of the Liberal Arts, is a copy of a pair supplied by Charles Cressent (d. 1768) to M. de Selle, Treasurer General of the Navy. The pair featured in the latter's sale in 1761 and later formed part of the collection of the comte Boni de Castellane.
Maison Millet, founded in 1853 by T. Millet, was first located at 11, rue Jacques-Coeur, Paris, then moved to 23, Boulevard Beaumarchais in 1902. Specialising in meubles et bronzes d'art, genre ancien et moderne, mainly copies of French 18th century models, Maison Millet was awarded many medals such as the 1889 Exposition Universelle Gold Medal, a Grand prix in 1900 and three Diplômes d'Honneur. In 1902, Millet was authorised by the curator of the Palais de Versailles to replicate Queen Marie-Antoinette's celebrated 'Grand cabinet à bijoux'. An auction of their stock was held in 1906 and the firm finally ceased trading in 1918.