Thomas Weeks established a museum renowned for its mechanical curiosities at 3 & 4 Tichbourne Street in 1797. In it were Ingenious clocks, self-playing organs and automaton toys such as amimated spiders and birds of paradise, the collection was sold off in 1834 following his death. His premises also included the adjoining shop where it is presumed he sold pieces such as this clock and the following lot. Many of his mantle clocks had the escapement mounted on the backplate and had pendulums with wedge-shaped bobs as incorporated for lot 66. He occasionally signed his work Semaine instead of Weeks - presumably because it was fashionable to copy the French and because he used it only on his clocks where the cases were either made in France or heavily influenced by French design (see following lot).