The early 19th Century inscription on the back of the pedestal refers to the plaster figure maker Robert Shout. A bill-head dated 1806 advertised his studio and spacious show rooms (fl. 1778-1823) at 18 High Holborn as having 'a large sortment of figures and tripods for holding lamps or candles of various patterns and dimensions, fitted up in a new and fashionable style: suitably adapted for walls and staircases, pier tables, sideboards, Chimney pieces etc. Likewise several hundreds of figures from the Antique, and likenesses of distinguished personages made to imitate real bronze' (A. Coleridge, 'The 3rd and 4th Dukes of Atholl and the firm of Chipchase', The Connoisseur, February 1966, p. 101 and T. Clifford, 'The plaster shops of the rococo and neo-classical era in Britain', Journal of the History of Collections, 1992, vol. IV, no. 1, pp. 63-64).
Such work was commissioned by Lord Bridport for his library designed by Soane, Salters' Hall and Shelly writes of Leigh Hunt's studio, that
'His room no doubt
Is still adorned with many a cast from Shout'
(R. Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors, London, rev.ed., 1968, pp. 350 and 351).