Designed in the Louis XIV 'antique' manner popularised by George, Prince of Wales, later George IV, this 'Buhl' open bookcase can be attributed to the workshop of Louis Constantin Le Gaigneur (fl. 1814-21) as it is signed 'E. Black', who is thought to have been his apprentice. Although Le Gaigneur's oeuvre is scantly documented, he appears to have worked almost exclusively for the Prince Regent and his most intimate circle, advertising himself as a Metal Bust Maker' and 'French Buhl Manufacturer' from his premises at 9 Queen Street, Edgware Road.
Unusually, perhaps as a result of his Parisian training, Le Gaigneur sometimes signed his work, as can be seen on the bureau plat originally supplied to Brighton Pavilion and now in the Royal Collection at Windsor Castle, as well as on the cylinder-bureau sold by Mr. Edward Sarofim, Christie's London, 16 November 1995, lot 139.