An almost identical rosewood sofa table with pearl bordered drawers is at Harewood House, Yorkshire, probably supplied to Edward Lascelles (1740-1820), 1st Earl of Harewood. The table is illustrated in Harewood, (guide) n.d., p. 18 in The East Bedroom and is presently displayed in Lord Harewood's Sitting Room.
This sofa table veneered in richly-striated rosewood is conceived in the manner of the cabinet-makers, John McLean & Son. John McLean worked from Little Newport Street between 1770 and 1783, and by 1790 was established at 58 Upper Marylebone Street where the firm remained until it ceased trading in 1819/1820. Together with his son, William, he also occupied premises in Pancrass Street, Tottenham Court Road, c. 1789-1805. Although they identified some of their furniture with a label, the only known documented commission is that for furnishing the London house and Middleton Park, Oxfordshire for the Earl of Jersey, between 1806 and 1807. William McLean took over from his father around 1815 (see S. Redburn, 'John McLean and Son', Furniture History, 1978, pls. 40B, 41A, 41B and C. Gilbert (ed.), Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840, London, 1996, p. 38).