Designed in the antique manner popularised by Thomas Hope's, Household Furniture and Interior Decoration, London, 1807 (pl. IV), the bronze 'Roman lamp' lantern is held by an eagle, bearer of Jupiter's 'fulcrum', while its golden enrichments recall the Roman adage that 'without Ceres and Bacchus, Venus grows cold'. Corn-enriched vines wreath its vase, which is hung with bacchic lion masks above a palm-wrapped thysic boss. Egyptian-fashioned sunflowers embellish its branches and accompany Venus-shell badges and Egyptian bacchic masks, such as featured in Hope's guide (pl. XXXVII).
The Roman eagle bears the 1817 patent of the Strand plaster figure-maker and 'lamp manufacturer' James Deville (d. 1846), whose patent for that year also features on bronze colza lamps supplied for Southill, Bedfordshire (T. Clifford, 'The plaster shops of the rococo and neo-classical era in Britain', Journal of the History of Collections, 1992, p. 45).
This lantern would have been acquired for the great banqueting hall at Gawthorpe Hall, Lancashire, by Robert Shuttleworth (d. 1818) as the room was reported in 1818 as having lately been turned into a dining-room, when it was 're-fitted and re-furnished with great taste' (The Rev'd T. D. Whitaker, History of the Original Parish of Whalley, 3rd ed., London, 1818). In 1884 the chandelier appeared in N.E. Green's watercolour of the newly created dining-room, when the house was owned by Ughtred Shuttleworth, later Baron Shuttleworth (d. 1939) (S. Jervis, 'Gawthorpe Revived', Country Life, 11 June 1987, fig. 7).