The lantern is embellished in the early 19th Century French antique manner with Venus shell badge displayed on the cornice amongst triuphal palm-scrolls framed by embowed dolphins, while Bacchic palm-wrapped thrysus finials emerge from the fretted base which is flowered with roses and thistles. A lantern of similar style was supplied for Burton Constable, Yorkshire, in 1832 by William Collins, who was established in The Strand in 1808. In 1837 he supplied a magnificent brass chandelier, embellished with roses and thistles for the Guildhall, illustrated in Temple Newsam House, Country House Studies No. 4, 'Country House Lighting', 1992, p.73, fig. 35. A similar one was sold anonymously, in these Rooms, 19 December 1987, lot 66.